RCE Greater Gombak was officially acknowledged by the Global RCE Service Centre and the Ubuntu Committee of Peers for the RCEs on 1 April 2020.The news was received amidst virtually half the world was lockdowned in the global fight against COVID-19.
RCE Greater Gombak portrays the Functional model of RCE instead of geographical recognising the fact that sustainable development issues are borderless.
While Gombak will be the main location for the RCE activities, the area of coverage will bridge the existing RCE Central Semenanjung to that of RCE Iskandar. The unique scope of RCE Greater Gombak is it serves a new model of collaboration among RCEs; tripartite RCE collaboration model.
MAJOR SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES
There are three (3) major scopes of activities for RCE Greater Gombak, which are:
- Whole Community Transformation towards Sustainable Society
- RCE Greater Gombak aims to transform and empower the community towards sustainable development at all levels of community in line in the spirit of “leaving-no-one-behind” in upholding equity, ethics, and justice.
- Spirituality and Sustainability
- Taking pride in the diversity of faith-based community as well as the strength in the Indigenous settlement in the Gombak area, the RCE paved the way in the role of spirituality and Indigenous knowledge through ESD. This means greater participation over a much larger and diverse population base.
- Sejahtera – Mainstreaming Indigenous Knowledge and Local Wisdom
- RCE Greater Gombak is also keen to rejuvenate and mainstream Sejahtera – a local concept of sustainable living as one of the main desired outcomes of the RCE. The effort integrates well with the contribution of spirituality and Indigenous value in transforming the whole community.